Friday, December 5, 2008

THE SCOOP ON NUTRITIONAL YEAST


As a new vegetarian/vegan you may from time to time have a craving for something cheesy or at least for me I have it sometimes daily. Well, you are in luck! I came across this AWESOME vegan staple called nutritional yeast. I have never, ever heard of it before until I became vegan and now it seems that I can not shut up talking about it. This flaky goldmine has taken my palate to new levels of dining. I eat it on virtually anything that I want to have some taste of cheese. I sprinkle it on popcorn, on salads, in soups, on my Italian dishes (almost like Parmesan cheese). I mean this stuff is incredible. I know that I just made serious hype on the taste of the nutritional yeast but here is where I want to tell you something awesome about it. Nutritional yeast also boasts some very healthy benefits to it as well. It is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins.It is also naturally low in fat and sodium. Some of the nutritional yeast are fortified with vitamin B-12. The brand I use which is "Red Star" is fortified with the B-12 vitamin. Can you believe that! So I say...sprinkle away and enjoy the feeling that being cheesy can be easy!

1 comment:

  1. Red Star is where its at. No other nooche (nutritional yeast) is as good as RS! I buy it in 5 lb bags from bulkfoods.com

    ReplyDelete